In 1543, Ytterhiske and Västerhiske had 16 farm tenants. In 1750, there were 9 farmers in Ytterhiske. There were two mills by Tvärån, both in 1750 and in 1826.
The part of Umeå once known as Ytterhiske (now Väst på stan) was bordered to the west towards Grisbacka by the stream Tvärån, and to the east towards the city by and around today’s Ängesvägen road.
In 1913, parts of Ytterhiske were incorporated into the city of Umeå. Parts of the old Ytterhiske can be seen behind the ICA Supermarket on Ängesvägen road.