Strömbäck village is located south of Ström village by Strömbäcksfjärden in Västerfjärden. It is a row village that runs north–south and has had factory operations in different periods from the mid-18th century until 1880.
County Governor Olof Malmerfelt was permitted to establish a glassworks in Ström in 1748. It was the first glassworks in Norrland. But operations first began in 1751.
The factory was in operation during different periods until 1880.
An older building tradition is still preserved in the area, for example in the form of short single and double cottages. Some buildings were renovated in the early 20th century, a period in which new buildings were also added.
The buildings in the village date primarily from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The factor layout can still be seen in the placement of the buildings. A church sits where the manor house once was. Strömbäck factory and village are considered fine examples of a traditional factory setting with the associated community.
Strömbäcks Glassworks, Strömbäck Folk High School, a church and the cholera cemetery are located here.
There is also a nature reserve nearby, Strömbäck-Kont.