“The old bridge”
Before Umeå had a bridge, people crossed the river on ice in winter and by ferry the rest of the year. During the second Russian occupation of Umeå in the Finnish War, in 1809 the Russians built a floating bridge made of logs across the river, which was destroyed by a spring flood shortly thereafter.
Building a bridge across a river was long considered too expensive, but county governor Gustaf Munthe developed an interest in the matter when he took over in 1856, and in 1858, he assigned the task of exploring where a bridge would be most suitable, plan proposals and what the project would cost. The investigation pointed to an area just outside the city, upstream in the river, where the river bed could most advantageously bear a bridge. The bridge would cost 65,450 riksdaler. With other associated costs, the total was 86,000 riksdaler.
With the construction of the bridge’, the coastal highway was diverted to the bridge via today’s Bryggargatan road. After it opened in 1863, and for a long time thereafter, travellers had to pay a fee to use the bridge. (Source. Wikipedia)