Klabböle village is located a few kilometres west of Umeå, on the right-hand/southern shore of the Ume River. In prehistoric times, the sea reached all the way to the surrounding mountains to the south, with bays pressing into the valleys.
The name of the village was in use from the 16th century and is believed to refer to a cow collar, a new garden or a new building. The village was probably built in conjunction with the colonisation of the coast of Norrland, which took place in the 13th and 14th centuries, when the shores along the major salmon fishing rivers were populated.
The built-up area was placed as closely to the riverbank as possible to facilitate fishing, and below the rapids it was possible to cross the river to the parish church and the villages along the northern shore. There was once a ferry dock in Klabböle.
The built-up area and selions (strips of land) were claimed at the top of the plateau which formed between the riverbank to the north and the ravine to the south. The risk of frost was lower here.
Down by the water and on the slope along the brook, natural pastures and hay fields could be accessed.
Salmon traps were built in the rapids with stone tubs. Boats and fish buildings could be destroyed when the spring flood was especially powerful, which happened between 1721 and 1756.
According to the land register of 1543, 8 farmers lived in Klabböle at this time. The village was home to 10 farmers in the 1750s. A scattered collection of houses sat by the river and a few farms were on the riverbank. Two mills were situated in the current Raningsbäcken in the 18th century.
With the 1876 land reform, the community became increasingly dense and new buildings emerged a few hundred metres west of the old village centre, on the village’s common land.