Summer Slope (Sommarbacken) was the end of the road for several hundred years. The road inland stopped here. Waggons had to be left and stored on Sommarbacken while the journey continued by boat, foot or horseback. Several trails could be taken from Sommarbacken, over cleared wetlands along the river or through the forest, to reach Vännäs or further. One trail, the Vännfors Church Trail, was used by residents of Vännfors to visit the church in Umeå until 1834, when Vännfors was transferred to Vännäs Parish. There was also a trail to Sandån, where there was a wharf, a ferry, and a tar barrel harbour.
Vännäs residents still wanted a road for waggons across Brattbyrödningarna and a miserable road to Vännäs was built, based on what one Prof. W. von Schubert wrote when travelling it in 1817: “For a short period, a road has connected Brattby and Vännäs, but it is quite nasty.” In 1837, the road was in slightly better condition and it was reclassified as a parish road.
Häradsvägen road followed the same route until the early 20th century. The steep hill Brattbybacken was known to be a troublesome passage.
The gradient was 1 in 7, or a 1-metre rise over 7 metres. Much of the hill was excavated away when the “new” road was built in the 1930s.
Many incidents occurred on the hill. A particularly noteworthy one was the time a truck loaded with cheese tipped, and all the cheese rolled down the hill and into a ditch by the railroad. The young boys from the village helped the driver roll the cheese back up the hill. This took place the year before the new road opened in 1932 (1933?).