Röbäck village is located about 4 km southeast of downtown Umeå. It is one of the oldest villages in Umeå Municipality and has also been one of the largest for a relatively long time.
About 9000 years ago and throughout the Stone Age, Röbäck was underwater and inside the bay, which was the mouth of the Ume River at that time. The sea drained away as the land rose.
Röbäck’s prehistory begins in the Bronze Age, around about 1000 BC. Burial cairns from this time can be seen on Thomasberget-Hägnberget, which are parts of the ancient coast. The population lived on hunting, fishing and to some extent, cattle breeding.
Röbäck has been home to several mills.
Röbäck is named after Röbäcken brook, which runs through the village. The name derives from the reddish colour (röd) caused by the iron-rich sediment. The water of Röbäcken brook has long been perceived as healthy; you can read more about the Röbäck spring.
Röbäck appears in written sources from 1443, when it was noted that “Olof in Röbäck” was a member of a 12-man committee which was in district court sessions in Umeå Parish that year.
Gustaf Vasa’s land register from 1543 and 1571 names 23 farmers living in Röbäck, which was the most farmers in the parish.
Maps from the 17th and 18th centuries show that the village’s location then was the same as it is today. At the time of the 1885 land reform, there were just over 50 farmers.