According to census, Brännland was home to six farmers in 1543 and seven farmers in 1750.
The village consists of two main village groups situated along the old main road. The streams and surrounding meadows influenced the village location and its division into east and west. The eastern side can be considered the heart of the village, and the western side is the area with Ålö Maskiner. The farms usually had four buildings, one of which blocked off the courtyard from the road. In the 18th century, the built-up village centre expanded, and the number of farms doubled.
In the last century, the two village areas have merged together, forming a long string of buildings along the old main road. The village’s mills were on Smörbäcken (a total of five, from 1661–1826).
In the 20th century, western Brännland developed significantly, probably due to the expansion of public transit connections and local industries. In contrast, the built-up area in the eastern village centre has retained its farm character.