In the late 18th century, a shipyard was built on Teg. The first shipyards in Umeå were in the city itself. Shipbuilding was also don on the island of Ön. But concerns about fires led to it moving to the Teg side in 1792–1797.The Teg bank became part of the city’s harbour facilities. The shipbuilders and other shipyard staff, as well as many sailors, lived in Teg.
The shipyard and harbour were supplemented in 1877 with Tjärhovet (the collection site for tar barrels), which was moved that year because of fire concerns from Broparken to Teg. The tar barrel quay was between the ferry by the end of the current the streets Färjställsgatan and Jägarvägen.
In the mid-19th century, a spirit distillery was built and in the 1870s, a brewery:Västerbottens Ångbryggeri AB. They were located to the east and west of the ferry station, respectively.
In the 1860s, the city’s first bridge was built across the river, the Old Bridge, which is now a pedestrian and cycling bridge. With the construction of the bridge’, the coastal highway was diverted to the bridge via today’s Bryggargatan road.
The shipyards, distillery, and Västerbottens Ångbryggeri AB on the Teg side were ravaged by the city fire of 1888, which began on the city side. However, the brewery was rebuilt in its same location.
Umeå bryggeri, which is where the fire began on the city side, was rebuilt on the Teg side as Umeå Ångbryggeri AB, whose new buildings by the river were first used in 1891. Thus, there were two breweries on the Teg side.