The decision was taken in 1958 to create the river walk. The western part of the river walk is by the water’s edge, just below the steep northern riverbank. Initially, the vegetation is dense and leafy. In the last section towards the marina, the plant life along the river is more open and sparse. Trees and bushes line both sides of the gravel-covered walking and cycling path. There are benches along the entire stretch.
The eastern section of Strandpromenaden runs from Sofiehem via Öbacka Park, to Rådhus Park, creating a long, open park along the river. Öbacka was the city of Umeå’s first industrial area. In 1896, a joinery factory was built here, and later a planing mill, mechanical workshop and a foundry were added. In 1909, Egil Unander-Scharin built a pulp mill that was in operation until 1945. The building was totally refurbished in the mid-1980s, and since 1987 the premises have been used by the Umeå Academy of Fine Arts.