With leftover bricks from the newly completed church building on the adjacent lot, Church Master Builder Per Eriksson erected this small “castle” for Albin Ahlstrand, Umeå attorney and mayor in 1892.
The stepped gables, corner turrets, patterned bricklaying and blind windows and the battlement staircase tower with pointed tower cap probably were derived from some pattern sheet; the drawing for the building permit is unsigned.
The grounds include Uno Nygren’s cleverly adapted office building. The ochre, rose and blue tones from the blind window paintings are repeated on the new building’s windows, wall panels and base of the roof, integrating the two structures.
Källa: Umeå kommun
Foto: Pål Castell
Text: Lena Tengnér