In 1930, parts of Kyrkobordet and Kyrkplatsen were divided into lots in connection with plans for the Umedalen hospital.
In 1929, the Swedish Parliament had approved the construction of the hospital after a long, drawn out struggle among several coastal municipalities over who would get the hospital. Umeå won out and the hospital was built on previously undeveloped land north of the previous Österbacken and the extension to Backenvägen road, built in 1920.
Umedalen hospital was inaugurated in 1934.
At its peak, it had approximately 1,000 patients and approximately 800 were brought in from other hospitals in northern Sweden. The area was largely self-supporting with a gardener, shoemaker and basket maker.
The hospital consisted of 22 buildings in a pavilion system with underground passages, and the buildings were in classical, baroque and national romantic styles.
In the 1980s there was a general debate about how psychiatric care was provided; the hospital was shut down in 1986 and the psychiatric unit was moved to Umeå University Hospital in 1996.
Balticgruppen bought the entire hospital campus, with around twenty buildings. Parts of the facility are used today as a medical centre, preschool, primary school, rehearsal space, association space and art gallery.
The area is also home to the Umedalen Sculpture Park andIKSU spa.
If you are in the mood for coffee or lunch, the renownedBistro Le Garage is located nearby.
The Umedalen residental neighbourhood was built around the hospital campus.