Just north of Rinneln and about 8 km from downtown Umeå is an area by the river called Sand. To the south are Lilltuvan and Stortuvan, both part of the Ume River Delta Nature Reserve.
About 500 years ago, much of Röbäcksslätten, Alvik, Ängsbacka and all the islands in the current river delta were under water. Not until the 1820s did what is now known as Sand silt up. Maps from the early 20th century show that Sand, Lillsand and Hedmansgrundet were formed and that Sand was separated from the mainland through a river channel named Mellandjupet/Kodjupet.
To maintain the channel to Umeå, it was dredged between Tuvan and Flisbergsgrundet in 1889. Sand was joined to the mainland when Mellandjupet/Kodjupet filled in through land uplift and sedimentation. When the road was built, soil was added that broke off the flow of water.
In conjunction with log driving in the Ume River from Baggböle sawmill to Holmsund, a stretch of about 20 kilometres, there was a waypoint at Sand. A stone caisson was built for this.
Summer cottages began appearing in the Sand area, which is part of the Degernäs property association, in the 1920s. The cottages have since become year-round homes.
A large area west of Sandvägen road is part of the Ume River Delta Nature Reserve. At the end of Sandvägen road, a plank footbridge to Mittituvan is used to reach Obbolavägen road and the nature reserve path that starts at Mittituvan.