The churches built during this period were all the same type: single-nave, covered with a gable roof, and with 1.5-metre-thick walls. The walls were built with large evenly spaced stones.
The bell tower east of the church was built in 1751.
There are clear indications that a church was here as early as the 13th or 14th century, including a notation about the congregation in a tax register in 1314 and in notes from a visit in 1324.
Three items from the church are thought to be from the 14th century church.
The church was restored multiple times after fires, most recently in 1986, when a severe fire left nothing but the external walls and the vaulted ceiling. Architect Jerk Alton and artist Per Andersson were hired and the church reopened in 1990.
There was once a church village surrounding the church, with hundreds of cottages that were used as a field hospital in the 1808–1809 war with Russia. A cemetery is nearby.
Gustav Vasa appointed Lars Olofsson Björnram, who was from an old noble family in Finland, as captain and then bailiff of Norrland. In 1520, he married Anna, daughter of the merchant Anders Persson Grubb, and in the process received large landholdings in Västerhiske and elsewhere. Lars Olofsson Björnram was a district judge, country bailiff and chief judge (lagman, hence the road Lagmansgatan in Grubbe) in Umeå Parish. His marriage to Anna Grubb produced a son, Anders Laurentii Björnram (1520–1591). Anders became vicar of Umeå Parish in 1561, bishop of Växjö in 1576 and archbishop in 1583. He was elevated to nobility in 1590.