City Engineer Wilhelm Stolpe designed this red brick building with its tall, crenelated corner tower and window shapes reminiscent of medieval architecture. It was built in 1892 as the city’s first power station: a wood-fired steam power plant with two high pressure steam engines, each coupled to a direct current generator. The power plant generated enough current to light 36 street lamps in an eastern and western loop from the centrally positioned electrical source and provided lighting in the church and city hall. The building also housed the city’s fire department, which hung its wet fabric hoses from the tower to dry them out.
The Pentecostal Church, which currently owns the power station building and its additions, operates the popular Kafé Station housed in the building.
Källa: Umeå kommun
Foto: Pål Castell
Text: Lena Tengnér