Sofiehem — Ålidbacken was one of the most important areas of expansion during the interwar period; it was incorporated with the city of Umeå in the 1920s.
Industry expanded in the area from around 1890 and the establishment of the hospital in 1903 made this area significance for the development of Umeå.
After the city fire in 1888, industry grew rapidly to satisfy demand for construction materials, something the Öbacka-Sofiehem-Ålidbacken area could provide. In the early 20th century, several smaller industries were established, including a brickworks, a turpentine and tar factory, and a sawmill.
All of the regional sawmills built housing for their workers. The Sofiehem sawmill’s worker housing was north of the Gimo area, by the pond. The Gimo sawmill began building its housing further south in 1918.
After Sofiehem’s pulp mill was built in 1926, the old worker housing by the pond was demolished. On the site where Sofiehem sawmill’s worker housing once stood, 67 plots for detached homes were created above the pulp mill. These were mainly used by pulp mill employees.
The area also had club premises, a Konsum grocery store and a café with a bakery.